1884 Houston Cotton Exchange Building
History and museums
The 1884 Houston Cotton Exchange Building is located at 202 Travis in downtown Houston, and is a landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Houston Cotton Exchange Board commissioned local architect Eugene Heiner to design a three-story building on Travis Street at the corner of Franklin in Houston. In 1907, the building was remodeled and a fourth floor added. The Houston Cotton Exchange continued to use the building until it moved its operations to a new building several blocks away at Prairie and Caroline in 1924.
John Hannah and Jesse Edmundson, III purchased the Cotton Exchange Building in 1973. They restored the building and sold it in 1983. Preservation Houston acknowledged Hannah's restoration work in 1979 with a Good Brick Award.