Allan and Stark Building
History and museums
The Allan and Stark Building is a heritage-listed row of contiguous but not identical retail buildings located at 110 Queen Street, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. The architect was Andrea Stombuco.
The individual buildings were constructed on various dates, but the earliest was in 1881. The drapery business operated by James Allan and Robert Stark first operated from part of the site in 1899 in leased premises. Up until 1964 the business gradually expanded into neighbouring buildings which were variously leased or purchased creating the row of buildings. Allan and Stark continued to operate from these amalgamated premises until 1970, when the buildings were sold to the retailer Myer. Myer operated its department store from the site until 1988.
The southernmost building of the row of buildings of Allan and Stark (the leftmost as seen from Queen Street) is visually quite different. It was formerly the Manwaring Building, the second of a row of 4 identical buildings built in 1888. The first building of that row (never part of the Allan and Stark building) is the former Palings Building which still survives adjacent to the Allan and Stark building. The third and fourth buildings of that row were demolished at some earlier time but their sites are now part of the Allan and Stark Building.
The Allan and Stark Building was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register in 1992 when the current occupier was the Myer store. Despite being part of the Allan and Stark Building, the Manwaring Building was also separately listed on the same register in 1992 when the current occupier was the Miss Brisbane store (a part of Myer department store for young women's clothing). Meanwhile, the Manwaring Building's "identical twin", the neighbouring Palings Building, is the subject of yet another heritage listing. Perhaps this complexity is the reason that the heritage listing for the Manwaring Building is currently (2013) being reviewed.