Archaeological Museum of Argostoli
History and museums
The Archaeological Museum of Argostoli, also known as the Kefalonia Museum is a museum in Argostoli, Greece, located a few blocks south of the plateia, across from the Municipal Theater on R. Vergoti.
It contains antiquities found on the island of Kefalonia, ranging from the prehistoric to the Roman periods. The old museum was destroyed by an earthquake in 1953. The current building was built in 1960. and designed by the well-known architect Patroklos Karantinos.
The museum contains an intensive collection of Mycenaean artifacts. These include excavations at the Mycenaean cemetery of Lakkithra such as a Mycenaean kylix dating from the 12th century B.C., which is a conical cup, decorated with cross-hatched triangles and a gold necklace from made from pairs of gold spirals and intentionally twisted, also dating to the 12th century B.C. Notable finds at the cemetery of Diakata also dating back to the 12th century B.C. include a bronze fibula which is a bow shaped as a row of eight-figured loops and a large, two-handled krater which has a low foot and is adorned with panelled motives between the handles.
The museum also features many other items of pottery and jewelry from excavations around the island and Melissani Lake. It also contains some 3rd-century BC tombstones, a 2nd-century BC mosaic from the temple of Poseidon and archived photographs of an 1899 excavation at Sami.
As of Jan 2014 the museum is officially closed.