Baltimore Public Works Museum
History and museums
The Baltimore Public Works Museum was located at 751 Eastern Avenue, Pier 7 of the Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland. This museum provided a behind-the-scenes glimpse of how a large city provides public works utility services to its citizens. Exhibits also explained street lighting, road maintenance, and trash removal. An outdoor sculpture called Streetscape was an intricate model of a network of phone lines, street lights, storm drains and pipes for water, gas, and sewage disposal. The building housing this display is an operating sewage pumping station built in 1912.
The museum opened in 1982 and is operated under the auspices of the Baltimore Department of Public Works. On February 3, 2010, the city announced that the museum would close immediately due to budget constraints.
As of 2015, there's an effort to re-open the Baltimore Public Works Museum. Attendees of the centennial celebration event of the city's Montebello Water Filtration Plant held on Saturday, September 19, 2015 was given blue bags by the Baltimore City Department of Public Works that had printed on them www.PublicWorksMuseum.org that has a website with a copyright of 2015 and associated with a group called "Friends of the Public Works Museum" whose goal "is to reopen the Public Works Museum."