History and museums
Bodø Cathedral (Norwegian: Bodø domkirke) is a cathedral in the municipality of Bodø in Nordland county, Norway. It is located in the town of Bodø. The church is part of the Bodø parish in the Bodø deanery in the Diocese of Sør-Hålogaland. The cathedral is also the seat of the Bishop of Sør-Hålogaland. Since 2007 Tor Berger Jørgensen is the Bishop of the cathedral.
The old church in Bodø was destroyed on 27 May 1940 when the whole city center of Bodø was bombed during World War II. In 1946, an architectural competition was held for the construction of a new church in Bodø. The architects Gudolf Blakstad and Herman Munthe-Kaas won that competition. The foundation stone was laid in 1954 for rebuilding the new church and was consecrated by Bishop Wollert Krohn-Hansen in 1956. By the time it was completed, it became the new cathedral for the new Diocese of Sør-Hålogaland.
Bodø Cathedral is built of concrete and has a basilica design. The church has an outer sculpture depicting Petter Dass made by Kristoffer Leirdal. The sanctuary seats about 890 people. Over the altar in the east wall, there is a 12-metre (39 ft) high stained glass. It is designed by Åge Storstein and constructed by Borgar Hauglid. The church has a 36-metre (118 ft) tall independent clock tower that contains three bells. There is also a memorial to those who died from Bodø during the World War II. The memorial says «Til de fra Bodø som gav sitt liv for Norge under krig og okkupasjon 1940–1945. Ingen nevnt, ingen glemt» which means "To those from Bodø who gave their lives for Norway during the war and occupation 1940–1945. Not named, Not forgotten."