Bonsecours Market (French: Marché Bonsecours), at 350 rue Saint-Paul in Old Montreal, is a two-story domed public market. For more than 100 years, it was the main public market in the Montreal area. It also briefly accommodated the Parliament of United Canada for one session in 1849.
Named for the adjacent Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel, it opened in 1952. During 1849 the building was used for the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada. The market's design was influenced by Dublin's Customs House.
Construction of this Palladian style building began in 1844 and was designed by British architect William Footner, and alterations completed in 1860 by Irish-born Montreal architect George Browne (1811–1885). Bonsecours Market also housed Montreal City Hall between 1852 and 1878. The former city hall chambers is now a 3700-square-meter meeting room.
The market was also a venue for banquets, exhibitions and other festivals. Browne was charged with adding a 900-square-meter concert hall and banquet hall.
Closed in 1963 as a farmer's central market, it was slated for demolition. Today, the market is multi purpose facility:
Bonsecours Market was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984.
On 28 May 1990 Canada Post issued 'Bonsecours Market, Montreal' designed by Raymond Bellemare. The stamp features an image of the Bonsecours Market, which was designed by Montreal architect William Footner and constructed from 1842-45. The $5 stamps are perforated 13.5 and were printed by British American Bank Note Company & Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited.