History and museums
Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-André de Bordeaux) is a Roman Catholic cathedral, seat of the Archbishop of Bordeaux-Bazas, located in Bordeaux.
The cathedral was consecrated by Pope Urban II in 1096. Of the original Romanesque edifice, only a wall in the nave remains. The Royal Gate is from the early 13th century, while the rest of the construction is mostly from the 14th-15th centuries. The building is a national monument of France.
In this church in 1137 the 13-year-old Eleanor of Aquitaine married the future Louis VII, a few months before she became Queen.
A separate bell tower, the Tour Pey-Berland, is next to the cathedral.
The site is served by line A and line B of the tramway de Bordeaux at Station Hôtel de Ville.
The Cathedral is home to the Marcadé collection, which consists of a group of forty-two illuminations, among other objects (paintings, sculptures, liturgical vestments and silver objects). It was given to the Cathedral of Bordeaux by canon Marcadé in 1947. Of note, these illuminations, little studied so far, will be exhibited starting in 2015 in the cathedral, in a room specially designed for this collection.