History and museums
Borgund Church (Norwegian: Borgund kyrkje) is a parish church in Ålesund Municipality in Møre og Romsdal county, Norway. It is located in the village of Borgund, just east of the city of Ålesund. The church is part of the Borgund parish in the Nordre Sunnmøre deanery in the Diocese of Møre. Historically, this was the main church for the old Borgund Municipality. The historic, stone, cruciform church was built around the year 1300. It seats about 750 people.
The church had a major fire and the building was almost completely destroyed on 13 April 1904. The loss was tragic, but a new church was rapidly built within the medieval walls, and was consecrated on 7 August 1907.