Çamlık Railway Museum
History and museums
The Çamlık Railway Museum, aka Çamlık Steam Locomotive Museum, (Turkish: Çamlık Tren Müzesi or Çamlık Buharlı Lokomotif Müzesi) is an outdoor railway museum at Çamlık village of Selçuk district in Izmir Province, Turkey. It is the largest railway museum in Turkey and contains one of the largest steam locomotive collections in Europe.
The museum is located on the former part of the ORC mainline, the oldest line in Turkey, near the village Çamlık, very close to the famous historical site at Ephesus. When the tracks on the Izmir to Aydın main line were realigned, a small portion of the line as well as the original Çamlık railway station were abandoned. The museum was started in 1991, and completed in 1997. It uses the original tracks built in 1866.
While the land, the buildings and the collection are all the property of the Turkish State Railways (TCDD), the museum is run by Atilla Mısırlıoğlu on a 99-year lease. He is the son of the first signalman serving at the Çamlık railway station.
In the museum, there are 33 steam locomotives displayed outdoor, half of them arrayed around an 18-road turntable. The manufacturing years of the locomotives range from 1891 to 1951. The oldest one is built by British Stephenson. Steam engines are made by Henschel (8), Maffei (2), Borsig (1), BMAG (2), MBA (1), Krupp (3), Humboldt (1) from Germany, NOHAB (2) from Sweden, ČKD (1) from Czechoslovakia, Stephenson (2), North British (1), Beyer Peacock (1) from the UK, Lima Locomotive Works (1), ALCO (1), Vulcan Iron Works (1) from the USA and Creusot (1), Batignolles (1), Corpet-Louvet (2) from France. Visitors may climb up into the engines. The locomotives are provided with plaque giving information about technical details.
The steam locomotive number 45501, which was involved in the Yarımburgaz train disaster as part of the Simplon-Orient_Express, is exhibited in the museum. The head-on collision in 1957 is with 95 death toll the deadliest train accident in Turkey so far.
The museum offers nine passenger cars including two wooden cars. The salon car used by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (1881-1938) can be visited also inside. There are also seven freight cars on display. In addition to various rolling stock, many railway and rail station utilities at the facility such as water tower, road turntable, hand lorry and crane can be visited.