Cape San Pablo Lighthouse
History and museums
The Cape San Pablo Lighthouse is located 50 km south-east of the city of Río Grande, department of Río Grande, Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina. It is situated over the Cape San Pablo, at a very characteristic isolated mountain that is a prominent formation on the coast line.1
The construction of the lighthouse started on the 15th of March 1945. In December 1949 there was a seismic movement that bent the tower. This situation forced the removal of the illumination equipment and the deactivation of the signal. In 1966 the rebuilding of the lighthouse was organized.1 Nowadays the lighthouse consists of a yellow pyramid-shaped tower, 6 meters in height, with a black triangle with its vertex upside down. There is a platform located at the top section which holds a luminance lantern fuelled by solar energy having an optic range of 12.5 nautical miles.