Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Klang
History and museums
The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes (OLL) is a church located at Jalan Tengku Kelana, Klang, Malaysia. The current parish priest is Rev. Fr. Frederick Joseph . The Church celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2008 after the church building had undergone restoration. A new four storeys formation centre, named Wisma Lourdes, had been added to the church complex in order to meet the increasing number of students and classes needed for Sunday School. Wisma Lourdes also houses the parochial house.
In 1923, Father Souhait was directed to take charge of the spiritual needs of the Catholic residents in Klang and surrounding districts, including Kuala Selangor and Kuala Langat. He was soon aware of the need of a permanent church buildings and set about to acquire the present site. Eventually he succeeded in getting the land where the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes and Sekolah Menengah Convent now stand reserved for worship. The church, grotto and the parochial house (where Wisma Lourdes now stands) were completed for $45,000. They were declared open and blessed by Bishop Perrichon in 1928.
Father Souhait was a student of architecture before taking up Holy Orders. He played a large part in the design of the church building, modelling it on the pilgrimage church in Lourdes, France. The design of the church follows the style of a Gothic architecture. Gothic architecture grew out of the period in European history when the church had become established as the religious and political power in Europe. In this sense, Gothic architecture is an expression of a movement as much as it is a specific style of construction. This church exhibits the Gothic style is many of its features, including the nave, transepts, sanctuary, and ribbed dome.
In 2012, two glass panes believed to show images of the Virgin Mary and the face of Jesus were moved to the Church from the Sime Darby Medical Centre in Subang Jaya. The panes are available for viewing 7am to 10pm daily.