Church of San Miguel
History and museums
The Church of Saint Michael (Spanish: Iglesia de San Miguel) is a church in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1931.
The Church of Saint Michael started its life in the end of the 15th century. A plaque at the door of its Gothic facade is dated 1484. It is believed that the church was commissioned by the Catholic Monarchs when they visited the city in 1484. Previously, the area was served by an old hermitage. Its construction, however, would last several centuries resulting in an excellent cathedral-like set where latest gothic elements and other ones typical from beginning and full renaissance and baroque.
It has rectangular floor, divided in three naves, the central one taller than the lateral ones, by pilasters from a flowery gothic style. It is considered one of the best temples of the city of Jerez.