History and museums
One of the most prominent buildings of the Dockyard was the Commissioner's House, designed by the Royal Navy's chief architect Edward Holl. At 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2), the verandah-wrapped building was far larger and grander than either the Government House, the residence of Bermuda's Governor, or the Admiralty House used by the head of the North American Station. The Commissioner's House introduced the use of cast iron in buildings and was built largely using prison labor. Internally, the building featured Soane styling, flushing toilets, and hot water. By the time the building was finished in 1832, the final cost was nearly £50,000 ($250,000); the Navy Board was outraged, and the building came to be regarded as a white elephant. The building was subsequently used as barracks by the British Army and the Royal Marines until its commissioning by the Royal Navy as HMS Malabar during the First World War.
Today, the Commissioner's House is the home of the Bermuda Maritime Museum.