History and museums
Customs House is a heritage-listed customs house located on Queen Street by the Brisbane River in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was originally used for the collection of customs duty and was both completed and opened in 1889, when Queensland was a British colony, replacing the original Customs House located at Petrie Bight.
The collection of custom duties on imported products was particularly important to Queensland where the manufacturing sector was slow to develop. Brisbane was declared a port city in 1846. In 1908, seven years after federation, the building was acquired by the federal government.
Customs House is within reach of the CityCat catamaran ferry service, as well as the Free Loop Bus.
Construction was finished in three years at a cost of ₤38,346. The downstream end of the Brisbane central business district was selected to spur the development of wharves in the precinct known as Petrie Bight. The lower floor contained a secure warehouse where goods not having been passed customs were stored.
Customs House is a Brisbane landmark known for its distinctive copper dome. The building was designed by Charles McLay of the Queensland Colonial Architect's Office. Despite no government in the country having a coat of arms at the time, the building features a depiction on its facade of a shield between an emu and kangaroo. An iron balustrade was shipped from England with the initials VR for Victoria Regina wrought on it in honour of Queen Victoria. Inside the structure features black and white marble with cedar fittings.
The building became redundant when port facilities moved to the Port of Brisbane at the mouth of the Brisbane River, resulting in its closure in April 1988. The building is now leased by the University of Queensland and was refurbished between 1991 and 1994, at a cost of A$7.5 million. There is a restaurant and function centre within the building, and regular concerts and an art gallery occupies the lower floor. The Long Room was once the place customs business was transacted. Today the room is used for various functions, lectures and dinners.
The building was registered on the now defunct Register of the National Estate in 1980.
The building was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register in 2005.