History and museums
Diocletianus Aqueduct is an aqueduct in Split, Croatia constructed by the Roman Empire to supply water to the ancient Palace of Emperor Diocletian. The aqueduct was 9 kilometers long from the Jadro River to the palace.
The Diocletian Aqueduct was constructed between the end of 3rd century AD and beginning of the 4th century. The aqueduct length was about 9 km, a height difference of end points is 33 m.
The aqueduct took water from the Jadro River, 9 kilometers northwest from the Diocletian's Palace (today's Split city center) and brought water to the Palace and surrounding villages.
The best-preserved part of aqueduct near Dujmovača (Solin) has a maximum height of 16.5 m and a length of 180 m.
The Diocletian aqueduct was destroyed in the invasion of Goths in the middle of 6th century and did not work for thirteen centuries after that. The first reconstruction of the aqueduct took place during the reign of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1877–1880). The aqueduct was abandoned from 1932 when the modern water station Kopilica was built.
The aqueduct is currently being restored.