Doctor's Cave Beach Club
Doctor's Cave Beach Club, Montego Bay (also known as Doctor's Cave Bathing Club) has been one of the most famous beaches in Jamaica for nearly a century.
It is noted for its crystal-clear turquoise waters and near-white sand. Its sheltered location provides calm waters.
Dr. Alexander James McCatty had founded a sanatorium in Montego Bay in 1880. He allowed his friends, including several doctors, to bathe at his small beach, which was entered through a cave. In 1906 he donated the property to the community, and the private members club was formed, which continues to this day.
In the 1920s, Sir Herbert Barker, an English osteopath, visited the beach and was impressed by the curative powers of the waters. He wrote an article which helped the beach become well known and gradually hotels were built nearby so that tourists could enjoy the beach.
To mark the centenary of the club a 15-foot-tall (4.6 m) bronze statue, Balance, by Basil Watson was unveiled on 18 November 2006. It features a woman being balanced above a man with their arms at full stretch.
The beach has a broad swath of clean, near-white sand some 200 m long. It is fringed by trees, and has facilities: bar, restaurant, changing rooms and showers. For members there are several club rooms.
As well as for members, the beach is open to the public for a fee. Chairs, umbrellas, and snorkel gear are available for rent.
The beach is part of the protected Montego Bay Marine Park, which has many species to be seen on coral reefs which can be viewed by snorkellers.