Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue
History and museums
Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue is a synagogue in Alexandria, Egypt. It is located in Nabi Daniel street. Built in 1354, it was bombed by the French during their invasion of Egypt in 1798, and was re-built in 1850 with contributions from the Muhammad Ali Dynasty. Although services are still held in the synagogue, it now caters to a very small community due to the dwindling number of Jews in Alexandria. The synagogue was closed for the 5773 (2012) High Holidays because of security reasons.