History and museums
Elverhøy Church (Norwegian: Elverhøy kirke) is a parish church in the municipality of Tromsø in Troms county, Norway. It is located in the city of Tromsø. The church is part of the Elverhøy parish in the Tromsø arch-deanery in the Diocese of Nord-Hålogaland. The red wooden church seats about 435 people.
Elverhøy Church was built in its current location in 1971, but that is not the beginning of its history. The church was originally built in 1803 on the site of the present Tromsø Cathedral. The church, then known simply as Tromsø Church served the city of Tromsø.
In 1861, a new cathedral was being built on the same site, so this church was dismantled and moved a few hundred meters south of the city boundary. It was located just outside of the city and was then known as the Landkirke (Country Church) and later the Tromsøysund Church. It was the parish church for Tromsøysund during this time. After the Arctic Cathedral was built in 1965 as the new "main church" for Tromsøysund, this church was eventually closed, dismantled and moved once again.
In the early 1970s, it was reopened as Elverhøy Church, about 1.2 kilometres (0.75 mi) west of the city centre on one of the highest points on the island of Tromsøya. A full basement was built for its present location, making room for a parish hall, kitchen, cloakroom, and bathroom facilities.
Media related to Elverhøy Church at Wikimedia Commons