Activities, History and museums
The Jugendstil building was designed by Finnish architects Armas Lindgren and Wivi Lönn. It was built as a national effort with the leadership of Estonia society in 1913 and was opened to the public on 24 August. At the time, it was the largest building in Tallinn.
The opera house was heavily damaged in the Soviet air raid on Tallinn on 9 March 1944. It was reconstructed in a classical and Stalinist style, and reopened in 1947.
The building has two large auditoriums in two separate wings. It now houses the Estonian National Opera and the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra. A chamber hall was opened in 2006.