First Church of Christ, Scientist (Los Angeles, California)
History and museums
The former First Church of Christ, Scientist, built in 1912, is an historic Christian Science church edifice located at 1366 South Alvarado Street in Pico-Union, Los Angeles, California.
The former church is a Historic district contributing property in the Alvarado Terrace Historic District, which was added on May 17, 1984, to the National Register of Historic Places. It is also a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.
The First Church of Christ, Scientist was designed by noted Los Angeles architect, Elmer Grey in a mixture of Beaux Arts—Italianate—Spanish Romanesque Revival styles.
The church building was sold in 1972 and was used as a synagogue for a time. It then become the Los Angeles branch of the ill-fated Disciples of Christ church, known as the Peoples Temple, led by the Reverend Jim Jones. First Church of Christ, Scientist, is no longer listed in the Christian Science Journal.
It is now a Spanish-speaking Seventh-day Adventist church called Iglesia Adventista Central.