Fort George, St. Peter Port, Channel Islands | CruiseBe
9.3
Average: 9.3 (10 votes)

Fort George


History and museums
,
fort, fortress



Fort George is situated in Saint Peter Port, Guernsey, and is a former garrison for the British Army. Construction started in 1780, and was completed in 1812. It was built to accommodate the increase in the number of troops stationed in the island in anticipation of a French invasion during the Napoleonic Wars.

The States of Guernsey bought the land from the British Crown in 1958. In 1967, the land was sold to a developer, Fort George Developments, with the aim of building 120 luxury houses.





Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0