Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna
History and museums
The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna (GNAM), or National Gallery of Modern Art, is an art gallery in Rome, Italy, founded in 1883 and dedicated to modern and contemporary art; the full name is Galleria nazionale d'arte moderna e contemporanea.
The current building, the Palazzo delle Belle Arti (Palace of Fine Arts) at Via delle Belle Arti, 113 (near the Etruscan Museum) was designed by prominent Italian architect Cesare Bazzani. It was completed between 1911 and 1915. The facade features exterior architectural friezes by sculptors Ermenegildo Luppi, Adolfo Laurenti, and Giovanni Prini, with four figures of Fame holding bronze wreaths, sculpted by Adolfo Pantaresi and Albino Candoni.
The museum was expanded by Bazzani in 1934, and again in 2000 by architects Diener & Diener.
The museum displays about 1100 paintings and sculptures of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, of which it has the largest collection in Italy. Among the Italian artists represented are Giacomo Balla, Umberto Boccioni, Alberto Burri, Antonio Canova, Giorgio de Chirico, Giovanni Fattori, Lucio Fontana, Amedeo Modigliani, Giacomo Manzù and Giorgio Morandi.:169
The museum also holds some works by foreign artists, among them Braque, Calder, Cézanne, Degas, Duchamp, Giacometti, Kandinsky, Mondrian, Monet, Jackson Pollock, Rodin, and Van Gogh.
The following institutions are part of the National Gallery: Museo Boncompagni Ludovisi per le arti decorative, the Museo Hendrik C. Andersen, the Raccoltà Manzù, and the Museo Mario Praz.
Media related to Galleria nazionale d'arte moderna (Rome) at Wikimedia Commons