General Post Office
History and museums
Adelaide's General Post Office is a colonial-era building in the Adelaide city centre. It is located at 141 King William Street on the north-west corner of King William Street and Victoria Square.
The building was constructed in the period 1867-1872, and is associated with several architects of note, including Edmund Wright, Edward John Woods, Edward Angus Hamilton and Robert George Thomas
The GPO was the most expensive building constructed to that time by the colonial government in South Australia. Prince Alfred, The Duke of Edinburgh, was involved in laying the foundation stone. It was constructed from Glen Osmond and Glen Ewin stone, and ornamented with Bath limestone.
Media related to General Post Office, Adelaide at Wikimedia Commons