George Brown Darwin Botanic Gardens
The George Brown Darwin Botanic Gardens are botanical gardens located 2 km North of the CBD of Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia. The gardens cover 42 hectares and are noted for their collections of north Australian and other tropical species.
The gardens were established on their present site in 1886; this was the third attempt by European settlers of Darwin to establish a site where plants of economic importance could be tested for their suitability in the tropics. Initially the collection of the gardens was focussed on economic gardening and the ornamental plantings. The gardens were severely damaged during Cyclone Tracy in 1974, 89% of all plants were lost. Restoration after the cyclone was led by George Brown, who had worked at the gardens since 1969 and served as curator from 1971 to 1990, and became Lord Mayor of Darwin in 1992 until 2002. The gardens were renamed in 2002 to recognised George Brown's contribution and 32 years service to the development of the gardens.
In 2000 Darwin's historic former Wesleyan Methodist church was moved from Knuckey Street and reconstructed at the Gardens. It is the oldest surviving building in Darwin.
The gardens contain a major collection of Northern Australian monsoon flora; these include communities like mangroves, monsoon vine thicket, Tiwi Islands wet forest and those found on the Arnhem Land escarpment. The gardens also has a large collection of native and introduced tropical plants including cycads, palms, Adansonia, gingers and heliconias.
Media related to George Brown Darwin Botanic Gardens at Wikimedia Commons