Grand Central Hall
History and museums
Grand Central Hall is in 35 Renshaw Street, Liverpool, England. It is a former Methodist church that is now used as accommodation for many alternative shops of the type formerly based at Quiggins, Liverpool. The building is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.
Grand Central Hall was opened in 1905 as the Central Hall of the Liverpool Wesleyan Mission, replacing a former mission and Wesleyan chapel dating from 1790. Built to an Art nouveau design by Bradshaw and Gass of Bolton, the new building had a capacity of 3576 people, and was also used from its opening until at least 1944 as the New Century Picture Hall cinema. From 1933 to 1939 the hall was the home of the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra while the Philharmonic Hall was rebuilt following a fire.
In 1990 the Methodists sold Central Hall. Major restoration work was undertaken in 1997/98 and from November 1998 to around 2000 or 2001 the building became the Barcelona bar and nightclub.
After the closure of the Quiggins Centre on School Lane in 2006, a dozen of the 30 plus traders relocated to the Grand Central Hall whilst others moved on to and around Bold Street or dissolved themselves. In early 2007, Roscoe Hall on the first floor opened with many new and diverse shops. In October 2011 a performance area opened in the Domed area.
Architecture of Liverpool