History and museums
The Great Guild (Estonian: Suurgild, German: Großen Gilde) was a guild for merchants and artisans, operating in Tallinn from at least the 14th century until 1920. It was based in the Great Guild hall, a Gothic building in the historical centre of Tallinn, today housing the Estonian History Museum.
The building was erected in 1407-1410, with the interiors finished in 1417. The façade is decorated with blind arches, and has a typical, prominent portal. Inside, the main hall especially retains the medieval atmosphere. It is a large (365 square metres (3,930 sq ft)) room, supported by a range of pillars with decoratively carved capitals.
The Great Guild hall is considered a typical example of medieval Tallinn architecture.