Houton, Kirkwall, Scotland | CruiseBe
0
No votes yet

Houton


History and museums
,
historic site,settlement,landmark



Houton is a settlement 5 miles (8.0 km) southeast of Stromness on the island of Mainland, Orkney, Scotland. The settlement is within the parish of Orphir, and is situated on a minor road off the A964.

From here, a ferry sails to Lyness on Hoy and the oil terminal at Flotta. Nearby are the remains of the round church of St Nicholas (the only medieval round church in Scotland) and the Earl's Bu, the ruins of a former manor house of the Earldom of Orkney. These sites are in the care of Historic Scotland.

The Holm of Houton is nearby.

RAF Houton

RAF Houton was situated nearby and was home to the following units:

  • No. 306 (Flying Boat) Flight.
  • No. 430 (Seaplane) Flight.
  • 'F' Boat Seaplane Training Flight was formed on 15 August 1918 and operated the Felixstowe F.3 and the Curtiss H.16 before being disbanded on 25 November 1918.
  • Orkney Wing.



Text is available under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0