History and museums
The Imperial Academy (Vietnamese: Quốc Tử Giám) in the old capital city Huế was the national academy during the Nguyễn Dynasty in Vietnam.
After the unification of Vietnam, Emperor Gia Long decided to move the capital from Hanoi to Huế. Following this decision, in 1803, a new Confucian academy was built in order to replace the Lê Dynasty's Temple of Literature in Hanoi. The first academy, called Đốc Học Đường, was a small block of buildings located at An Ninh Thượng village, Hương Trà district, some 5 kilometres east of Huế. It stood next to a Temple of Literature.
By March 1820, emperor Ming Mang changed the academy name into Quốc Tử Giám (Imperial Academy) and had the buildings rebuilt. Ming Mang also expanded the academy by building the Di Luân Đường palace which consisted of one teaching hall, two teaching rooms and 19 classrooms.
Under the reign of emperor Tự Đức, the academy was enlarged again. The emperor had a wall built around the academy and visit the academy by himself. Tự Đức also built a stone stele which contains his commandments for students. In 1904, Imperial Academy of Huế was badly damaged by a hurricane but was repaired soon after.
In 1908, under the reign of emperor Duy Tân, Imperial Academy of Huế was moved into Imperial City, Huế (its present location). Almost all buildings was completely rebuilt except the Di Luân Đường palace.
In 1945, following the fall of Nguyễn Dynasty, the Academy was permanently closed.