Last Chance Mining Museum
History and museums
The Jualpa Mining Camp is a former gold mining camp, just outside the city of Juneau, Alaska. Its main building is now operated as the Last Chance Mining Museum by the Gastineau Historical Society. The camp was located on the banks of Gold Creek, about 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Juneau, near what is now the end of Basin Road. Also known as the Last Chance Basin Camp, it was the site of one of the largest gold finds in the Juneau mining district. The camp was established between 1910 and 1913 by the Alaska-Juneau Gold Mining Company and operated until 1944, producing more than $80 million worth of gold. The largest surviving structure of the camp is its air compressor building, which was 84 feet (26 m) long, and still houses the compressor used by the company. Also surviving are a variety of railroad-related resources, which the company used to bring or to its mill on the Gastineau channel, an electrical transformer house, powder magazine, and cable hoist.
The camp was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.