Lotus Pond (Chinese: 蓮池潭; pinyin: Liánchí Tán; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Liân-tî-thâm) is a man-made lake and popular tourist destination on the east side of Zuoying District in Kaohsiung City in southern Taiwan. Opened in 1951, it is famous for the lotus plants on the lake and the numerous temples around the lake, including the Spring and Autumn Pavilions (春秋閣), the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas (龍虎塔), and the Confucian Temple (孔廟).
Lotus Pond was the site for several water sporting events for World Games 2009, including canoe polo, water ski, and dragon boat.
The Old Confucius Temple was originally built in 1684. The temple circumferences ups to 122 units of length and full-scale. However, in Japanese colonial period due to lack of maintenance, it was only preserved Chong Sheng Shrine presently which located in the west side of Old City Elementary School nearby Lotus Pond. The new Confucius Temple was located in northwest corner of Lotus Pond; then, it was relocated and rebuilt in 1977, located in North Shore of Lotus Pond. Its pattern had followed Song Dynasty Confucian temple and Shandong Qufu Confucius Temple layouts as model; its Dacheng hall had followed the layouts of the Supreme Harmony Hall of the Imperial Palace. It had Xia and,Shang and Zhou’s color and culture with yellow tiles covering the roof, black foundations stand on the floor, red pillars, windows and doors, and white stone railings. And it is the largest measure in Taiwan. Its Confucius Ceremony still follows the traditional of Ba Yi Dance (eight dancers in eight rows).
It was established in 1953, were two Chinese palace-style pavilions. Spring and Autumn Pavilions named from the Spring Pavilion and Autumn Pavilion. Each of these two is four stores and octagonal, green tiles and yellow walls, like an antique pagoda reflected in the water. And they communicate with each other by 9 bend bridge, also called ‘Spring and autumn Royal Pavilion’, set up by commemorated ‘The Martial Saint, Lord Kua’. There is a Guanyin statue which is riding a dragon in the front end of the Spring and Autumn Pavilions. According to local legend, the Goddess of Mercy had rode the dragon appeared in the clouds and instruct followers to build icon as the form of its coming out between the Spring Pavilion and Autumn Pavilion; Therefore, now there is a Guanyin statue which is riding a dragon.
The towers is height of seven stores, has set up to stand on the lake. In front of the buildings have their own dragon and tiger statue, the visitors can as the tower’s body as road, entering the dragon’s mouth and coming out from the tiger’s mouth, it means auspicious. The towers communicate with shore by 9 bend bridge; it corresponded to the surface of lake. There are painted with China's Filial Piety sub illustration in the Dragon tower, and painted the twelve Magi and the Jade Emperor thirty Palaces in Tiger tower.
Pei Chi Pavilion honors the Daoist deity Xuan Wu under the honorific "G0d-Emperor of the North Pole"; it belongs to Zuoying Yuan Di Temple and Feng Gu Palace. It claims to have the highest water statues in Southeast Asia. According to legend, Xuan Wu spoke through mediums to order the building of this pavilion.
The pavilion itself is 72 meters tall and made from grout and the Seven-Star sword in the god's hand is length of 38.5 meters. Its peaks has gullies and fountains to serve as background, and it used arch bridge connected statues. The place of worshiping and office of temple is under the statue.
Also called Southeast of Dili Que hall, Chi Ming palace is the most spectacular temple by Lotus Pond. Located in the west and facing the east, the temple was rebuilt in 1973 as a three-story, palace-style grand architecture. It is mainly for the worship of the two sages, Confucius and Lord Guan. While Taiwanese people were worried about being influenced by the Japanese customs, such as its culture, folklore, and religion, Those who founded Chi Ming Hall, including Xie Zhi Weng and Chen Wang Weng, constructed Ming De Hall under God’s will by tossing divination blocks. Those great founders have dedicated themselves to Chi Ming palace ever since in the hope of maintaining the traditional virtues and saving the society from corruption.
Located at No.158, Liantan Rd., Zuoying Dist., Kaohsiung City 813, Taiwan. It was established at 1660. The Central Camp Marshal was worshiped in Fujian Province, Quanzhou prefecture which crowed into followers everywhere and endless stream of pilgrims. It can solve all problems by followers. Tianfu Palace is not only a head of temple of worshipping The Central Camp Marshal, but also a champion of all temples in Zuoying which the number of pilgrims came to pilgrimage. The palace provides services of comfortable accommodation and receives deeply praise from pilgrims.
Located at No.1, Ln. 549, Zuoying Avenue, Zuoying Dist., Kaohsiung City 813, Taiwan. It worships Father of God, Mother NuWa of Goddess and Jade God of the folk beliefs, called God. 1957, it built the front and rear temples and called Inside the celestial palace. It designed a huge painting of masterpiece of “Neigh Dragon heavenward”, and it’s also a spiritual that symbolize by known as "the first word of Tain". And its gradation has the ancient traditional technology art of “Elegant handwriting” which is a foundation work for commemorating ancestors.
Located at No.240, Zuoying Sia Rd., Zuoying Dist., Kaohsiung City 813, Taiwan. It was situated in opposite with new Confucian Temple of Lotus Pond and situated in Hello Market of Zuoying. It worships three Mountain Spirits for Jin Mountain, Ming Mountain and Du Mountain of Chaozhou prefecture and they are a natural mountain godhead and portrait. Xian Shu Father God is a mountain Portrait statue. There are a wearing-scholarly guardian father who managed documents and a wearing-helmets and armor house father whose feats is excellent. Xian Ju Father God had originated from the belief of Chaozhou prefecture, later; it had extended to Hakka village, and possesses features of Hakka hometown.
Located at 3F., No.81, Ln. 6, Zuoying Avenue, Zuoying Dist., Kaohsiung City 813, Taiwan. It was established at 1661, called Zhen Fu union originally, and followers called it “Pei Chai To Land God Temple”. It worships Earth God and patron saint of Pei Chai To and the North Gate. Zhen Fu Temple is the Monument Class I abreast with Gongchen well of North Gate and The Old City. The Earth God blesses every household for peace and Good harvest. Local ancestors extended to celebrate birth of the Earth God on 15 August in lunar calendar.
The Old City Cheng Huang Temple was built in 1704. It worships Cheng Huang. When the Fengshan country ruled in this time, Residents constructed straw hut out of North Gate to worship the Cheng Huang which was the first model of the Old City Cheng Huang Temple. The Cheng Huang Temple was originally a gateway of The Old City area and the trade. At that time, Pi Chai Tau Street was crowded and bustling. Believers shuttled in front of the temple. It became an important gateway of trade. It experienced Lin Shuang-wen event (林爽文事件), the county was moved to Fengshan, destroyed by Japanese, the government retreated to Taiwan, damages by refugees, and many time of rehabilitations and rebuilds. The history of Cheng Huang Temple is the miniature of southern Taiwan experienced ups and downs for 200 years. In temple, every board and joss seems to talk quietly about the footsteps of ancestors. The Old City Cheng Huang Temple will tour Zuoying inside and outside for thirteen spots about every birthday of Lunar Calendar on 20 May. It still is one of the important activities in the Zuoyingtemple fair.
The temple worships the Master Qing Shui who was a national hero in Sung Dynasty who fought against the Yuan army. His jobs included the holding of management of awards for good deeds and punishment for evil deeds. He saved the souls of thousands of people. The temple is located at East to West, the front side is Lotus Pond, right is Ban-Ping hill, and left side leaning Guishan. Set of Eastern and Western architectural features of the merger; its construction is majestic and manner is solemn.
It worships Mazu and Commonly be known as Matsu Temple. During the Japanese Occupation Period, Japanese had even set up agriculture office for the temple; afterwards, was changed to The Regiment branch. Cide Palace was rebuilt at 1973, and finished at 1976. The Japanese government ordered to abolish the position of Cide Palace; however, it was rebuilt after Taiwan Restoration. While every birthday of gods, the temple will invite Taiwanese opera group to perform. And it is very special about building a stage in front of temple.
It worships Baosheng Dadi. Every Chungyuan Festival, every household hangs radish on door for memorial service. Putting sacrifice on table before the god such as radish, animal sacrifice, Glutinous rice lump and fruits to offer sacrifices to gods or ancestors. This ceremony of sacrificing radish still was rumored in civil. Cih Ji Palace was rebuilt in 1960 and worshiped Baosheng Dadi, Black Tiger Marshal and other gods; they became patron saint of local residents and endless stream of pilgrims. In 1974, Baosheng Dadi ordered to build Dragon and Tiger Pagodas. Zuoying Dragon and Tiger Pagodas has become the one of famous landmarks after it finished construction.
It located at Cuihua Road, and originally it was Lotus Pond Scenic Area Administration. The reason why it will be set Production Pavilion is because of the merger of the counties, the government in order to promote the integration of Kaohsiung high-quality agricultural products. They combined agricultural products with Human history, quality and high specification testing to create a "Kaohsiung preferred” brand value. Through Production Pavilion, they can market Kaohsiung high-quality agricultural products and promote agricultural policies.
Production Pavilion not only sells agricultural products which display on Selling Area but also has Deli Area for people to enjoy a meal. Restaurant's biggest feature is the use of ingredients which from Kaohsiung. In Story House, there are many video played in audiovisual conference rooms to make audiences to watch in order to obtain agricultural information. There also are DIY classrooms and Cooking classroom. DIY classroom is main to teach people make handmade DIY to do some simple productions, such as, Hats, quilters, soap, etc. And Cooking classroom is main to teach people make a delicious and simple delicacies with Kaohsiung local ingredients.
Zuoying was used to be the administrative center of the Wan-Nien County . Surrounding by many temples, the Louts Pond is the only place for religion carnival in Taiwan . There are many unique religious activities during the carnival i.e. “attacking cannon castle” and “touring fire lion”. The fire lion is the spirit symbol of the Wan-Nien Festival. Requested by the City of Kaohsiung, Chung-Wide bakery store has created a special fire lion cake by using husked lotus and red bean. This delicious cake also gives the meaning of good fortune and happiness.
The god of birth of Tsz-chi temper in Zuoying is also known as “Da-dao-gong”. In the old time, people put water spinach on the table to honor Da-dao-gong’s legend for his mercy and kindness. This old fashion is still retained until now in Zuoying area. Picking from the spirits of this local belief, the “Da-dao-gong” peace cake is made from whole water spinach plant by Chung-Wide bakery store. With its nutrition and special taste of water spinach, the “Da-dao-gong” peace cake becomes a very popular dessert.
It is major in noodles, prices from 50 to 110. It has two kinds of meals, several soups and dishes. The beef soup made of onion, carrots, bone, and traditional Chinese medicine. The soup is not greasy and with a rich aroma, very delicious. And the beef with noodle is soft and tastes like beef jerky. It is worth tasting!
It is 50 years old. The largest feature is there are a vat of Carambola juice, full of Carambola on stall and Autographs. Their merchandise is Carambola juice with Sweet and salty two flavors. The price depends on the capacity size divided into $20 of small cup, $30 of middle cup, big cup and bottle are $50. Prices are very approachable. Sweet Carambola juice for quenching thirst; however, salty parabola juice can protect the throat and improve cough. There is another very special food, Carambola candy; it looks red and flat, tastes sweet and salty, has efficacy of protect the throat and improve cough.
This shop is located in Zuoying second public market entrance. The feature of shop is only selling wonton soup and soup with eggs. The shop is always in an endless stream whenever day or night, and it is food that residents will eat. There are 12 wontons in a bowl of wonton soup. The skin of wonton is very elastic and different from general taste of wonton. The pork stuffing of wonton is many and sweet, and plus simple pepper and celery for seasoning; therefore, it is a delicious bowl of Fenyang wonton.