Madonna of Trapani
History and museums
The Basilica-Sanctuary of Maria Santissima Annunziata (also called "Madonna of Trapani") is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica, dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Trapani, in Sicily.
It is included in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Trapani.
Was originally built by Carmelite Order in 1315–1332 and rebuilt in 1760.
The church houses the skull of Saint Albert of Trapani in a silver statue crafted in the 18th century, and the relics of Clement of Ancyra.
It houses a marble statue of the Madonna of Trapani (Our Lady with Child), which might be the work of Nino Pisano. The statue is life-size, weighs 12 tons and is 165 cm high. To his left he is holding the baby Jesus.
The ancient convent today is the "regional museum Agostino Pepoli", one of the most important Sicilian museum.