Michael Fowler Centre
Activities, History and museums
The Michael Fowler Centre is a concert hall and convention centre in Wellington, New Zealand. It was constructed on reclaimed land next to Civic Square, and is the pre-eminent concert site in central Wellington.
Commissioned in 1975, building began in 1980; the centre officially opened on September 16, 1983. It was designed by Miles Warren and Maurice Mahoney of Warren and Mahoney, with acoustic assistance from Professor A. Harold Marshall, formerly the Head of Auckland University's Acoustics Research Centre. It is named after the primary instigator of its construction, Sir Michael Fowler, at the time the mayor of Wellington. The auditorium seats 2210 people during a concert, and 1035 during a classroom type event.
The centre is used by international and local acts, conferences, and summits; it is also the home of the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and ARISE Church.