History and museums
Molde Cathedral (Norwegian: Molde domkyrkje) is the cathedral of the Diocese of Møre of the Church of Norway. The cathedral is located in the town of Molde in Molde Municipality, Møre og Romsdal county, Norway. The church is part of the Molde parish and the seat of the Molde arch-deanery in the Diocese of Møre. Designed by Finn Bryn, it was completed in 1957, as the third church to be located at the spot. It became a cathedral in 1983 when the Diocese of Møre was created.
The cathedral is a double-nave basilica that has a free-standing bell tower next to the main building. The cathedral seats about 1000 people. The church building is shaped like a long "basilica", but with a center aisle and an aisle on the north side, but not on the south side. The entrance consists of two copper-clad doors surrounded by fields in natural concrete under a gable roof. The square campanile (bell tower) is at the church's southwest corner, and it is approximately 60 metres (200 ft) tall. Behind the church's main entry doors to the west, there is a spacious, rectangular foyer which leads into the Sanctuary.
This is the third church to stand on this location. The first was built in approximately 1661 and that one was a cruciform church. When it burned down, a wooden neo-Gothic dragestil church was built to replace it in 1887. This wooden church burned down during the bombing of the town center on 29 April 1940 (during World War II). After the war was over, planning for a new church began. The church was designed by architect Finn Bryn (1890-1975). He was awarded the contract after winning a competition for a new church in Molde in 1948. Total costs came in about NOK 3 million. The church was completed and consecrated on 8 December 1957.
The cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of the Diocese of Møre since its establishment in 1983. The follow Bishops have served in this cathedral: