Museum of Contemporary Art Australia
History and museums
The Museum of Contemporary Art (abbreviated MCA) in Sydney, Australia is an Australian museum solely dedicated to exhibiting, interpreting and collecting contemporary art, both from across Australia and around the world. It is housed in the Art Deco-style former Maritime Services Board Building on the western edge of Circular Quay. This area was the traditional lands of the Gadigal people of the Eora nation.
The museum was opened in 1991 and from 2010 underwent a $58 million expansion and re-development, fully reopening as the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia on 29 March 2012.
The establishment of the MCA was mandated in the will of Australian expatriate artist John Power (1881–1943), who bequeathed his personal fortune to the University of Sydney with the express purpose of informing and educating Australians in the contemporary visual arts.
With the relocation of the Maritime Services Board (MSB) to larger premises in 1989, the former MSB Building was donated by the NSW State Government to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Funded by the University of Sydney and the Power Bequest, restoration and refurbishment of the building commenced in 1990 under the direction of Andrew Anderson of Peddle Thorpe/John Holland Interiors and in November 1991 the Museum of Contemporary Art officially opened.
Extensions made in 2010–12 are to a design by Sydney architect Sam Marshall. The new extension, called the Mordant Wing, opened in March 2012.