National Archaeology Museum
History and museums
The National Archaeology Museum of Lisbon (Portuguese: Museu Nacional de Arqueologia) is located in Lisbon, Portugal. It is one of the most important Portuguese museums dedicated to Archaeology.
The museum was founded in 1893 by notable archaeologist José Leite de Vasconcelos, and since 1903 it occupies the Western wing of the Jerónimos Monastery, in the Belém district. The building of the museum used to be the dormitory of the monks, and was redecorated in neo-Manueline style in the second half of the 19th century. The museum is the most important centre for archaeological research in Portugal, and has a collection of finds from the whole country.
At the entrance there are two granite statues of Lusitanian Warriors, dating from the 1st century AD and brought from Northern Portugal. The permanent exhibits are divided into Egyptian Antiques and a collection of Treasures of Portuguese Archaeology, consisting mostly of notable metalwork dating from the Bronze and Iron Ages. The museum also possesses the most important Portuguese collection of Roman mosaics, mostly from Southern Portugal, but also from "Estremadura" (Póvoa de Cós) in the Centre.
Apart from its permanent collection, the museum often organises temporary exhibitions covering several subjects.