Newcastle City Hall (Australia)
History and museums
Newcastle City Hall is a heritage-listed building in Newcastle in New South Wales, Australia. The building, located in King Street, was designed by noted theatre architect Henry Eli White and the foundation stone was laid by Governor of New South Wales Sir Dudley de Chair on 20 April 1928. The three-storey building structure is based on a steel frame that supports concrete floors and stone cladding. Architectural features include a clock tower, porte cochere, balustrades and stairs, all built with Sydney sandstone. The administrative offices of the city hall were relocated to the new Civic Administration Centre in 1977, though the council chambers remain. The clock tower suffered some damage as a result of the 1989 Newcastle earthquake, however this was subsequently repaired. Interior spaces include a ballroom, concert hall and additional function rooms.