Old City Hall (Fairbanks, Alaska)
History and museums
The Old City Hall, now the Fairbanks Community Museum is a historic civic building at 410 Cushman Street in Fairbanks, Alaska. It is a two story Art Deco structure, built out of reinforced concrete in 1935 as a fireproof alternative to the city's previous city hall. The building is roughly T-shaped, with quoining patterns incised in the corners and bands of decoration on a parapet level. The building was originally built to house city offices as well as police and fire stations; the entrances to the fire equipment bays on Cushman Street have been filled in with wood framing and siding. The building was enlarged by extensions to the rear twice, once before 1950, and once after the 1967 floods. The city moved its offices to the adjacent Main School in 1994; the building now houses a local history museum.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.