Old Gaupne Church
History and museums
Old Gaupne Church (Norwegian: Gaupne gamle kyrkje) is a historic parish church in Luster Municipality in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. It is located in the village of Gaupne. The church is part of the Luster parish in the Indre Sogn deanery in the Diocese of Bjørgvin. The brown, wooden church, which has 130 seats, was built from 1647 to 1652 to replace an older stave church that was torn down. This church was used from that time until 1907 when the new Gaupne Church was completed. This church was then given to the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Norwegian Monuments in 1909. The society cares for the site and the parish uses the church for special occasions.
Old Gaupne Church was built using several of the parts from the old stave church, including the side planks of the western portals. These planks, dating back to the second half of the 12th century, are now one of the standout features of the church, infused with detailed carvings of snakes and dragons.
The Gaupne Old Church is known today for the annual St. Olaf’s Day service that is held there. The church authorities handed over the building to the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Monuments in 1909.