Old Quebec Funicular
Activities, History and museums
The Old Quebec Funicular (French: Funiculaire du Vieux-Québec) is a funicular railway in the Old Quebec neighbourhood of the city of Quebec in Canada. It links the Haute-Ville (Upper Town) to the Basse-Ville (Lower Town), which includes such sites as the ancient Notre Dame des Victoires church, the historic Petit Champlain district, the port, and the Musée de la civilisation (Museum of Civilization). One trip on the line travels 210 feet at a 45 degree angle.
The funicular opened on November 17, 1879, and originally used the water ballast system of propulsion, similar to that still used by the Nerobergbahn in Wiesbaden, Germany. The line was converted to electrical operation in 1907. On July 2, 1945, a major fire destroyed the structure, necessitating a rebuild that was completed in 1946. Since then, major renovations have taken place in 1978 and 1998. In 2004 it celebrated 125 years of operating.
In October 1996, Briton Helen Toombs was killed when the cable snapped and the emergency brake failed to stop the cabin before it crashed into the lower station. Due to this accident the funicular was closed until 1998.
The funicular has the following technical parameters: