Palazzo Cellammare, Naples
History and museums
The Palazzo Cellamare or Cellammare is a monumental palace located in Quartiere San Ferdinando of Naples, Italy.
The palace was erected in the 16th century by Giovanni Francesco Carafa, Prince of Stigliano, and member of the House of Carafa. Giovanni Francesco's son, Luigi Carafa, commissioned from Ferdinando Manlio further reconstructions. During the Masaniello revolt in 1647, the palace was sacked by mobs. After 1689, the palace was acquired by the state. In the 18th century, among the owners were the Duke Antonio Giudice and later the Prince of Francavilla, Michele Imperiali. Further reconstructions were entrusted to the architect Picchiatti. The palazzo contains frescoes by Giacomo del Po, Pietro Bardellino, Giacinto Diano, and Fedele Fischetti. Little remains of the once sprawling gardens.