History and museums
The Pechiguera or Punta Pechiguera lighthouse (Spanish: Faro de Pechiguera) is an active lighthouse on the Canary island of Lanzarote. It is the second lighthouse to be built at Punta Pechiguera, which is at the south-western end of the island.
The original lighthouse which was opened in 1866, still exists, and consists of a 12m tower at the front of a single storey house. It was deactivated in 1988, following the construction of the new lighthouse, and is a recorded monument under the Spanish Bien de Interés Cultural heritage register for Las Palmas.
The new lighthouse built from white stone, is one of the tallest lighthouses in the Canaries at 50m high, being superseded only by Maspalomas lighthouse on Gran Canaria at 56m, and the 59m Morro Jable lighthouse on Fuerteventura.
With a focal height of 55m above the sea, its light can be seen for 17 nautical miles, and consists of three flashes of white light every thirty seconds. In conjunction with the lights at Tostón and Punta Martiño, it marks the narrow La Bocayna strait that separates the islands of Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.
Punta Pechiguera is a barren promontory of volcanic rocks; originally quite isolated it is now being encroached upon by coastal developments from the Playa Blanca resort. A coastal walkway links the lighthouse with the centre of the resort, the majority of which consists of a paved promenade or esplanade (Spanish: paseo maritimo) along the seafront.
In 2008, Pechiguera in conjunction with five other lighthouses was depicted in a set of six commemorative stamps by the Spanish postal service Correos.
Media related to Faro de Pechiguera at Wikimedia Commons