Place des Martyrs, Brussels
History and museums
Martyrs' Square (French Place des Martyrs; Dutch Martelarenplein) is a square in the centre of Brussels. The current name of this square refers to the dead of the September days of the Belgian Revolution of 1830. Originally the square was called 'Place Saint-Michel' or 'Sint-Michielsplein' after Saint Michael patron of the City of Brussels. It was laid-out in a uniform neoclassical style in the years 1774-1778 after the designs of Claude Fisco.
Over 400 heroes of the Belgian Revolution of 1830 lie buried in a crypt beneath the cobblestones. Many lie not far from where they were shot, in fierce battles amid the Brussels streets and barricades.
The Flemish Government cabinet offices are located at this square.
Media related to Place des Martyrs/Martelaarsplein at Wikimedia Commons