Plaza de la Constitución
History and museums
The Plaza de la Constitución (English: Constitution Square) is a plaza occupying a full square block in the heart of the civic district of Santiago, Chile. It is located in front of the northern facade of the Palacio de la Moneda and is surrounded by other government buildings such as those housing the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Justice, Banco Central de Chile and the Intendencia de Santiago. The square is bounded by Moneda Street on the south, Morandé Street on the east, Agustinas Street on the north, and Teatinos Street on the west.
The square was built in 1935 on the former site of the headquarters of the then-named Ministry of War. Afterward, an underground car parking was constructed under the square. It was virtually used as a parking lot until 1983. During that year, the square had its last renovation. This redesign was done by Cristián Undurraga and Ana Devés.