Plaza de toros de La Malagueta
Activities, History and museums
La Malagueta is the bullring at Málaga (Andalucía, Spain) which since 1976 has been denominated a cultural asset of Spain (BIC). It is located in the eastern district of Málaga, alongside the Paseo de Reding.
The first event was held in 1876. the current (2013 season) operator is Coso de Badajoz SL, a company owned by José Cutiño.
The style of the building is neomudéjar and it takes the form of a 16-sided hexadecagon. After a refurbishment carried out in 2010 the arena now has a capacity for 9,032 spectators. The ring measures 52 meters in diameter and the complex includes 4 large Pens, 10 small holding pens, Stables, dressing rooms, a first aid post and assorted administrative facilities including the Museo Taurino Antonio Ordóñez museum.
La Malagueta hosts top-class events during the Spanish-style bullfighting season, and its festivities include two bullfights in Holy Week which are include the Corrida Picassiana" (named in honour of Pablo Picasso). In June, "La Corrida de la Prensa" (press) is held in June for the feast of Málaga town's duo of patron saints Ciriaco and Paula (who were martyred in Málaga in 303 AD).
There is a famous August Festival and the final bullfight of the season is held in the month of September in honour of Our Lady of Victory, the patron saint of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Málaga.