Plaza de Toros de Valencia
Activities, History and museums
Plaza de Toros de Valencia is a bullring in València, Spain. It was built between 1850 and 1859. It follows the neoclassical style and it was inspired in the civil roman architecture, the Flavian Amphitheatre Colosseum or the Arena of Nîmes (France). It was built by the valencian architect Sebastián Monleón Estellés. Its structure is formed by a 48-sides polygon, 384 external arches. It follows the so-called Neo-Mudéjar style.
At the moment of its construction the bullfighting arena was outside the city walls, specifically, near the Ruzafa gate. The architect designed the building with 48 sides and 17,50 meters high. Originally the bullring had 52 meters on its inside diameter, which was reduced later on. It is important to emphasise the early use of the cast iron columns that provide with a remarkable transparency of the boxes. Without a doubt, it is one of the most beautiful bullrings in Spain, with its 108 meters outside diameter and its capacity to 16,851 seated spectators (also reduced to 12,884 seats later on). These dimensions make it one of the largest bullrings in Spain. As reflected in the media at that time, It was inaugurated on June 20, 1859.
Currently, and since 1625, is owned by the Hospital General and it is administered by the Provincial Council of Valencia and Simon Casas Productions company. Over the years, it has been managed both by private companies and by direct-management by the Council of Valencia itself.
The bullfighting arena is situated in the Centro district of the city, at 28 Calle de Játiva Valencia, 46004 Spain. It is located next to the North Station and also close to the Plaza del Ayuntamiento (Town Hall Square). Right in front of the bullring, there is a metro station called "Játiva/Xàtiva" with the lines number 3, 5 and 9.
The stadium holds around 12.000 people.