History and museums
The Ponda Fort is located in Ponda, in the state of Goa on the west coast of India.
The present structure is a reconstruction of the old primitive at this location, surrounded by a park. Inside, there currently is a statue in honor of Shivaji, the leader of the Marathas in the seventeenth century.
The old fortification was built by Muslim forces of Adil Shah, and was conquered and destroyed by the Portuguese in 1549. It remained in ruins for more than a century, until the forces of Shivaji occupied the region, and came to rebuild the fort in 1675. In October 1683 the Viceroy of Portuguese India tried to conquer it, unsuccessfully, due to the large number of defenders.