Port of Keelung
History and museums
The Port of Keelung (Chinese: 基隆港; Hanyu Pinyin: Jīlóng gǎng; Tongyong Pinyin: Jilóng Gǎng; Wade–Giles: Chi-lung-kang; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Ke-lâng-káng), also known as Keelung Harbor, is located in the vicinity of Keelung City, Taiwan. It is operated by Taiwan International Ports Corporation, Taiwan's only state-owned port management company.
The 1858 Treaty of Tientsin specified Tamsui as an open port. The Port of Keelung opened few years later in 1886. In the Japanese colonial period, the Governor-General of Taiwan started the development of Keelung Harbor. By the early and middle 20th century, it was the largest port in Taiwan at the time.
The port forms a narrow waterway with approximately 2,000 meters in length and 400 meters in width that extends from the inner harbor in the southwest to the port mouth in the northwest.
The port serves destinations to the Matsu Islands, Xiamen and Okinawa.
The Port of Keelung is accessible from Keelung Station of the Taiwan Railway Administration.