Prince Kuhio Plaza
Prince Kūhiō Plaza is a single-level regional shopping center in Hilo, Hawaii. It is the largest enclosed mall on the Island of Hawaii.
The Plaza consists of a central mall building and a number of outlying buildings. The main building has four anchor tenant spaces. These are occupied by Sears, Macy's and Sports Authority. Other major tenants include Prince Kūhiō Stadium Cinemas, a nine screen movie theatre and Long's Drugs, which is located in an outlying building. The mall, along with three adjacent big-box retail centers, forms the core retail area of Hilo and its surrounding communities.
Prince Kūhiō Plaza is owned and operated by General Growth Properties. It is named for Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole (1871–1922) who served as Congressional Delegate from 1903 to 1922.
Prince Kūhiō Plaza was first conceived in the early 1970s in response to the lack of adequate retail space in Hilo. Developers, however, were unable to find a suitable site until September 1977, when the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands offered to lease 39 acres (160,000 m2) of land located at the intersection of Pūʻāinakō Street and Kanoelehua Avenue (part of the Hawaii Belt Road). Orchid Isle Group, the sole bidder for the property, signed a 53-year lease with the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands on October 28, 1977.
Prince Kūhiō Plaza was envisioned as a fully enclosed regional shopping centre. Plans called for three anchor spaces of 55,000 to 60,000 square feet (5,600 m2) each, plus an additional 240,000 square feet (22,000 m2) of retail space for a total of 420,000 square feet (39,000 m2) of leasable area. Parking would be provided for 2,150 vehicles.