History and museums
The Provand's Lordship of Glasgow, Scotland, is a medieval-period historic house museum located at the top of Castle Street within sight of the Glasgow Cathedral and Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
Provand's Lordship and the nearby Glasgow Cathedral, are some of the very few surviving buildings from Glasgow's medieval period. Provand's Lordship is the oldest remaining house in Glasgow, the cathedral is the oldest building.
Provand's Lordship was built in 1471 as part of St Nicholas's Hospital by Andrew Muirhead, Bishop of Glasgow, the Muirhead coat of arms is still visible on the side of the building. Provand's Lordship was likely to have been used to house clergy and other support staff for the Cathedral, providing temporary housing.
The house later became occupied by the Lord of the Prebend of Barlanark and perhaps was shared with the priest of St. Nicholas Hospital and Chapel and became known as Lord of Provan and then Provand’s Lordship.
Most of the remaining medieval buildings that surrounded the Cathedral and hospital were demolished between the 18th and 20th centuries. In 1978, the building was offered to the City Of Glasgow by the Provand's Lordship Society. Today the house is furnished with a collection of seventeenth-century Scottish furniture donated by Sir William Burrell.