History and museums
Ramses Railway Station (Arabic: محطة رمسيس Maḥaṭṭat Ramsīs), also called Misr Station (Arabic: محطة مصر Maḥaṭṭat Miṣr) is the main railway station of Cairo, Egypt. The name is derived from the Ancient Egyptian pharaoh Ramses II whose statue was erected by Nasser on the square there in 1955.
The original railway station was built as the terminal of the first rail link from Alexandria to Cairo in 1856. The current building was erected in 1892 and upgraded in 1955. As of January 2001 it was undergoing a major modernisation. In early 2011, following the Egyptian Uprising, Ramses station was fully upgraded and air conditioned with new marble flooring across the station and the addition of escalators. Some critics believe that the modernisations were too modern and destroyed much of the building's original style.
Huda Shaarawi, the Egyptian feminist, famously removed her veil here.
Outside of the station used to be the statue of Ramses II that was relocated to Memphis, Egypt, 12 miles (19 km) south of Cairo in the area of Giza on 25 August 2006.
The famous sculpture of Mahmoud Mokhtar, Nahdat Misr (Egypt's Awakening), was originally installed outside the station in 1928, but was removed to its current location near Cairo University in the 1950s.
Facilities in the station include a left luggage office, a post office, ATMs, a pharmacy and a tourist information office.
The railway station has also a connection to Cairo Metro Lines 1 and 2 via the nearby "Al-Shohadaa/Martyrs" Station; Cairo Trams, city buses, microbuses, and Cairo taxis are also available.
Media related to Cairo Ramses Station at Wikimedia Commons